In moving towards a more vegan lifestyle, the biggest challenge, for us, has definitely been giving up milk and eggs. Most of our family is used to their standard bowl of cold cereal and milk in the morning, and I’m used to baking with eggs and milk. Now that we’ve given up dairy and eggs (for a 28 day trial period) I’ve been forced to come up with some breakfast alternatives. This eggless French Toast with Agave-Maple syrup does a pretty good job of footing the bill, making a believer out of me that breakfast is still doable, even without milk and eggs.
Ingredients for French Toast and Maple-Agave Syrup:
1 loaf of Whole Wheat Bread (mine was homemade, using the 100% whole wheat recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day)
Vanilla Flavored Rice Milk
A little butter, or cooking oil
Instructions for french toast:
1. Heat up a 12″ non-stick skillet over medium high heat (making sure the pan is nice and hot is key to getting a good “crust” on the bread).
2. Place vanilla flavored rice milk into a shallow bowl.
3. Dip bread slices into rice milk, coating it thoroughly on both sides.
4. Lightly coat the skillet with a little butter, or cooking oil
5. Place bread slices on hot skillet and cook until you see a nice crust forming on the outside (about 2-3 minutes per side).
Instructions for Maple-Agave Syrup:
1. Measure one cup of agave syrup into a glass measuring cup
2. Add 1/2 tsp. pure maple extract to the syrup and stir until combined
Because Agave syrup is 1 1/2 times as sweet as sugar, you will not need to use as much atop your french toast — a little drizzle will do ya!