Today is a great day for caramel apples! It’s even better, now that I’ve learned how to make a healthier version of these quintessential Halloween treats from vegan chef AJ!
They are really easy to make, look like something you’d find at a gourmet candy shop, and taste fabulous. These are definitely going to be more than just a once-a-year treat at our homestead!
Granny smith apples (the tarter the better!)
Date Paste (I’ll tell you how to make it below)
Choppped Carob Chips (or other topping of your choice, like nuts, or shredded coconut)
Paper Cupcake Liners (for holding your finished product)
Wooden or metal skewers (I actually used cob holders — the things you stick in the ends of corn on the cob)
To made date paste:
1. cover dates with about one inch of water and soak overnight- (I found these in the bulk bins at Win Co and they already have the pits removed)
2. Strain dates and puree in food processor or blender, until it is the consistency of creamy peanut butter –
3. Spoon paste into a glass bowl – it should be nice and sticky!
To assemble the apples:
1. Place skewer in bottom of apple and dip it into the date paste, swirling it around to coat the apple-
2. Dip the apple into the topping of your choice, rolling it around carefully to coat-
3. Flatten out cupcake liner and place apple, top down, onto it. Remove skewer (or leave on, if you want) –
4. Assemble apples on a platter and serve! (we cut ours into pieces when it came time to enjoy them)
Happy Harvest and happy eating!!!